New Year’s Solutions for the Farm: Part 1 - Equine Solutions
This is the first in a 4 part series offering New Year’s Solutions for your companion animals. Each week will feature a different species and a new giveaway. Stay tuned for more.
We are so excited to share with you our winter solutions for 2018! Interested in winning a blanket for your horse? Read on to find out how.
You are settling down with your first cup of coffee in the morning. The fire is going, your snuggly socks are on your feet and the blanket is wrapped around you, keeping the cold winter chill at bay. You are not looking forward to going out later into the cold winds but are thankful for the warm boots and coat to shield yourself from the winter weather.
Winter weather can be a challenge to equine owners and their beloved animals. Snow, wind, rain and plunging temperatures are worrisome for your horse’s health. Thankfully there are some simple steps you can take to make sure that your horse is kept in good shape through the winter season.
During the winter, some horses have challenges keeping warm. Their health is heavily dependent on their nutritional regimen. Fresh water always needs to be available to them or they will become dehydrated. Another very beneficial factor is forage. The fiber from hay is crucial because the digestion and fermentation of it helps horses maintain their body temperature. Horses use a lot of energy to stay warm so there might even be an increase of quality hay needed.
Maybe you are wondering about a blanket for your horse. While it is true that during the winter, horses develop a haircoat that is long and thick that should give them enough insolation, there are some special circumstances that you might be on the lookout for.
- Cold wind is an enemy to your horse. A blanket can help protect him from this element.
- Cold rain is especially dangerous. Make sure your blanket is waterproof.
- If you have recently moved to a colder climate, it might take one winter for your horse to develop the proper winter coat needed to stay warm.
- Performance horses whose coats are kept clipped probably need a blanket to stay warm.
- Senior and thin horses.
Now that you have decided to blanket your horse, here are some simple tips to get you started on picking the right one.
The following links have further information for sizing and choosing the correct blanket
Enter to win this blanket!
The blanket is a size 78 and 360 g (heavy) weight. Entering our blanket giveaway is super easy. Simply fill out the email field to be entered! Check back 1/5/2018 to find out who the winner is. Don’t forget our poultry solutions blog next week!
The contest has ended!
Sharon Sykes is our lucky winner!
Terms and Conditions for 2018 Giveaway:
- No purchase necessary.
- Must be 18 years old to participate.
- One entry per person.
- Winners randomly drawn weekly.
- Drawings to conclude January 26th, 2018.
- Winners must be in the Continental US to receive prizes.
- Winners must contact Standlee within 2 days once notified or be disqualified.
- Entrants will receive Standlee’s e-Newsletter, but can opt-out at any time.
- The 2018 Giveaway by Standlee Hay Company is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.